Thursday, April 7, 2011

There's no avoiding it


While preparing my presentation for AAG next week, I ran across a photo I took in 2009 inside the Qalandia checkpoint. I didn't have time to do a great job composing the shot--I don't know how much the IDF allows inside the checkpoints, and the time prior to this, the IDF had given me a really rough time getting through. So I snapped a few quick shots, just so I could share what it's like trying to get from Palestinian areas into Israel proper.

The Qalandia checkpoint is the main transit point between Ram'allah and Jerusalem.


2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks like a prison cell. That's so sad that Jerusalem citizens are caged within their own cities. I guess I do not fully understand the use of these barriers either. Are they to protect against terrorists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cage isn't for Jerusalem citizens. It's for the Palestinians. There is no border checkpoint if you go from Israel -> Palestine. Going from Palestine -> Israel, you have to go through this (and more).

    ReplyDelete