Monday, August 10, 2009

Day One

I've arrived in Israel. I've been catching up on my sleep--I typically am not able to sleep much on flights--and haven't done anything exciting yet. I've noticed some interesting sights, but have yet to use my camera a lot:
  • Waiting for the bus from the airport to Jerusalem was a young Orthodox couple; the husband was dressed in dark khakis and a white button-down shirt, with his fringes hanging out and his kibbe on his head, he looked like a younger version of Joel Wainwright (well, the picture of Joel without the beard). The guy had some massive holes in the soles of his shoes, but his cell phone was quite spiffy.
  • On the road down the Mount of Olives this morning, I noted pilgrims from Italy, Portugal, Spain, Canada, Korea, and India. Mobs and mobs of tourists, stomping down the road, crowding into the religious sites, haggling with the local Palestinians for souvenirs. One group couldn't read the English (or Hebrew) sign on the arch to the Jewish cemetery, and stomped in there to take unobstructed pictures of the Temple Mount.
  • At nearly the top of the Mount of Olives, there is a block of apartments that looks relatively new. Certainly less than 30 years old. Before those apartment buildings was there, you could stand at the top of the Mount of Olives and look down on all of the Old City, including the Temple Mount. Now, if you stand at the top of the Mount of Olives, you get a marvelous view of these apartment buildings, one with a massive Israeli flag fluttering from the top of a 30-foot pole attached to the top of the building.
Many thanks to Michael Ewers, by the way, who just by hanging out with me in Damascus taught me some useful Arabic that I would've otherwise not picked up. I even avoided telling the desk clerk at the hotel that I had a "machine" instead of a "reservation."

I did take a couple photos today, and with one shot did some tricky photo manipulation. The picture below is a HDR composite of three separate exposures, tone-mapped and then manipulated in Photoshop to mimic the appearance of Fuji Velvia film. Turned out pretty good for a spontaneous shot that was fiddled around with in post-production. I need to figure out blogger a bit more so I can do fancier stuff with my photo-posting (right, Cheryl? I aspire to your level of blog-art).

5 comments:

  1. Very neat picture! And all your recent posts are showing up on pg 1, so you did it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see that you made it and that you got the blog up and running. I am glad that you learned from my "machine" vs "reservation" Arabic vocab blunder. When I visited the Mount of Olives some ten years ago I made an even worse Arabic mistake, confusing the word for "nun" with that of "terrorist." The poor little Franciscan who I was speaking to was very insulted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I remember you mentioning that in Damascus. I always use that example when I teach about the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joseph! Glad you made it. I can't sleep on planes either and those long flights are killer - but hey, now that I've done it with a toddler twice now I know the once joys of doing it sans kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This last comment was me, Joseph. Got you up on my blog sidebars now too. Looking forward to reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete